How I take My Blog and Instagram Photos!

by - November 20, 2017

So, if you follow me on Instagram (@louloves01) you'll know that I recently changed my theme to a more flatlay based style. So I thought I'd share with you how I take my Instagram photos because I know how helpful this kind of post was when I was thinking about changing my theme!

I'll start off with the camera I use. Since the beginning of this year I've been using the Cannon 1300D . Up until recently I have used the pre-set settings but I now use the "M" setting and the settings I use are:

Shutter Speed - 1/125
Aperture - F7.1
ISO Speed- 6400
Exposure comp./AEB Setting - Centre (0)
Flash Exposure comp. - +2/3
Picture Style - Standard
White Balance - Daylight
Auto Lighting Optimiser - Standard
AF Operation - One shot
Drive/Self-timer Mode - Single shoot
Metering Mode - Evaluative meter
Image Quality - First setting (18m 5184x3456 [1320])

I take my photos in either a flatlay style or just a standard product photo style.

Flatlay Style:

So I just use this white blanket from Primark to create the plain white background but I know a lot of people use card and then use accent colours which I always love the look of put I don't think I would be able to pull it off! I usually take about 10 minutes styling the photo and then 5 minutes shooting so I can get 4 lots of photos done in an hour which doesn't seem a lot but an hours worth of photos can last me up to 3 week which means I don't have to spend too much time taking photos. I then either kneel on a stool or stand to take photos depending on the angle I want. As you can see in the photo I usually have a pile of magazines waiting (although I never actually use them) in case I want one in the shot.

Product Style:


So when I take photos of individual products, I try to keep it as minimalistic as possible because as much as I love scrolling through instagram looking at all of the gorgeous flatlays, I tend to fine that sometimes the product gets lost within everything else and I really wanted the focus to be purely on the product. So, I get the white Primark blanket and drape it over the stool to get the white base and backdrop. I then just make a flat space at the bottom to put the product on and just take photos of it!

Thank you so much for reading, I hope you all enjoyed this post and I will see you very soon,

Love Lou
xxxxx

Blogmas Countdown - 11 Days

You May Also Like

0 comments